Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday

Thursday end up being usually a good running day for me. For some reason I am able to push myself to go faster on Thursdays. This Thursday was pretty good. Yesterday I had a really hard 9mile run with Leslie after work. I just felt like I couldn't do it for some reason. I felt beaten before I even started.

Today I ran inside on the treadmill. I ran only 4.12 miles, I had intended to do more but got lazy at the end. I ran the 4.12 is 40min which is good but I want to be running faster on my short runs. I have a goal that is feeling more and more out of my reach as the days go by. My goal is to train to run 9min miles for the Broad Street run on May 2nd, 2010. I am feeling a bit over-whelmed by my goal but I want to keep reaching for it because whether or not I reach it I know it will challeng me to build my speed. I will end up faster either way then I am now.

Thinking about the progress I want to make has me looking back at the progress that I have made. When I started running in late September for the Philly Half Marathon I was struggling to run at all and my pace was a 12min mile at the fastest. Now if I am not concentrating on running a distance I can run a 10min mile if I focus. So maybe I can build off of my experience and growth to make a really large improvement in my speed.

I am mainly focusing on the Marathon that is now 24 days away! I am thinking about food and my eating patterns for the next 24 days. Today Leslie (my running comrade) and I mapped out the rest of our training! I am so nervous and excited. My nerves have me searching for reassurance and information. So I stumbled upon some great information. I listened to a really great radio show with Scott Jurek (hero) and Chris McDougall (person who gave me such good information) that was on Doctors forum. Check it out: http://www.pcrm.org/doctorsforum/forum_archive.html.

After listening to the show I am thinking about being a vegan for 21 days and trying to visualize running more than 26.2miles which Scott has done over and over and over again. He has run 100miles races in the mountains and the heat. I'll be just running in the mild Virgina Beach flat marathon, how wimpy! Maybe one day i'll be as hard core. I am feeling excited about all of the growth and miles I have to go! THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment